Fulcrum Ruminations

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Kicking the Dog

One of the blogs linked over there on the right is "Yep, Another Goddamned Blog" by a "colorful" character with the screen name Jurassic Pork (I use his name for the link because I find his blog name unsuitable for polite company).

Today I hold up this post as a prime example of the unbridled hatred (known to right-wing bloggers as Bush Derangement Syndrome) that suffuses virtually every post on that blog.

This is the level of "thought" going on in the fringes of the blogosphere. This is also infecting the general political discourse in the US - the ultra-polarized fringes are subsuming more and more of the public debate, civility is going out the window, and it's all about who can display the vilest possible hatred of the other guy.

There is a degree of creativity involved, I suppose, but with the "moonbats" on the left and the "wing nuts" on the right clashing in ever more shrill tones of conflict, the issues that grown-ups need to worry about are being lost to the din.

The middle, the quiet real majority, need to stop being quiet. We need to remind these foaming-at-the-mouth pedagogues that politics is the art of compromise, and you can't compromise while you're busy flinging poo at one another.

3 Comments:

Blogger jurassicpork said...

Sorry that you're so uptight, Lanz, that you can't bring yourself to even write the word "Goddamned." Of course, you realize that debate depends upon open-mindedness.

And considering the difference between the comments that you've generated as opposed to the ones that my off-the-cuff post to which you've linked had attracted, I'd say that I have more readers than you.

But you won't have to worry about me infuriating the right with my hate-filled vitriol, because the day you wrote your post was the day I took my dog to the vet's.

We had to put her down today after ten years of love and companionship. I and my famiuly have been broken up so much by this that I'm not going to be blogging again for at least a long while, maybe ever.

So, looks like you won, Lanz.

Maybe I'll see you in IS or Glitter's place (if you cap there) and leave our politics at the door. I just don't have a taste for it, anymore.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Flings Poo

4:56 PM  
Blogger jurassicpork said...

I gotta tell you, Lanz: After what happened to my poor dog last Friday, I really wish you'd change the title of this post. Or picked something less... graphic.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home