Fulcrum Ruminations

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day

Tomorrow we remember, and honor, all those who served our nation on distant shores from which they never came home. We also remember, and honor, those who served right here in the country they loved, but gave their lives in the course of that service.

I remember in particular those friends and co-workers that we lost on that terrible day of 11 September 2001. Jerry Moran, Lieutenant Commander Vince Tolbert, and Angela Houtz . . . those three were people I knew personally. Jerry was a friend and worked for the same company I did at the time. LCDR Tolbert and Angela I knew professionally, tho not very well. LCDR Tolbert I'd done some graphics for while on the ONI Watch Floor, Angela I'd spoken to once or twice in the course of my normal duties.

On 9-11 they were snatched away from us. Maybe it's been long enough now, maybe it's just that I've held it at a distance. I don't know. I just know that they're much on my mind and in my thoughts on this Memorial Day.

So tomorrow, set aside your politics, your agendas, your pointing fingers and your blame games. At 3 PM local time, take that moment of silence and remember all those men and women who served with honor. Thank whatever powers you believe in that we have people like them, willing to stand on that wall, protecting the rest of us from the barbarians outside.

Memorial Day, when our honored dead live again in our thoughts. We remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home